Thursday, July 31, 2014

Life as a freelancer.

After four months now, I'll admit, I am still adjusting to life as a freelancer. 

There are aspects of freelance that I absolutely love. Mostly because, I suppose, I've been lucky enough to have landed an extended gig at a place I respect and admire, working with some really good, honest people.

Since I am at heart a homebody, however, there are aspects that I find less than ambient. I'll admit like Cinderella in the Rodgers and Hammerstein version, I miss having "my own little corner." I feel a little bit like a traveling surgeon in days of yore. Like I ride into town, unload my tools, go to work, then pack up and leave, leaving nary a trace.

But that's ok. I can handle that.

What's more my work-time to meeting-time ratio is outstanding, about 10:1. In most agencies I think that number is reciprocal.

Most of all, for all my personal ebullient misanthropy, I like working at different places, with different people, on different pieces of business. After nearly five years of slogging on the same account nearly everyday, having something new is like an a rainstorm after a heat wave.

All in all, it's going well.

Even when you show up at your work station in the morning and are welcomed by someone's dinner from the night before.

That's ok.

It tastes like chicken.

No comments: