Sunday, March 10, 2013

An evening in Austin.

There have been a few times in my career that I've felt like a "rockstar." Once I presented a new ad campaign in front of 2,000 of the client's sales people, and they went wild. And once I had a hand in creating a very popular television campaign that people would fairly kvell over.

But I never experienced anything like this.

I must say, it was one of the most surreal moments of my life.

I was stopped as I was racing to the elevators in the lobby of my hotel.

"Hey," I heard. "Hey. You're the 'Ad Aged' guy. I love your blog."

"Thank you," I said with more sincerity than I knew I possessed.

"Man, I'd like to buy you a drink. You're one of my favorite content providers."

"Content provider?" I had never thought of myself that way before.

"And I love the way you curate your content, too."

"I wasn't aware I was curating anything," I answered. I fidgeted with my key card. I was itching to get back to room 1604.

"You should syndicate your content, dude.  Get it into a curation loop."

"Look," I replied with some brusqueness. "I'm not a content provider. I'm a copywriter. And I don't curate. I find things I find interesting. As far as syndication goes..."

He cut me off before I said something I would regret.

"Listen, bro. Why you gotta hate."

Fortunately at that point, the Otis came and I escaped.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey G-Tan, did you you rightfully reply to the fellow who egregiously addressed you as 'Bro' with Young Shaver, Rapscallion, Sonny Jim or Young Fella Me Lad?

tim said...

Behold the new Don Draper. Different clothes, hair cut (or lack thereof), and a new label on the bottle. But inside is the same snake oil.