Friday, January 25, 2013

Aspirations.

Young people often send me notes, LinkedIn invitations and the like.

In these they describe themselves as "an aspiring copywriter." Or "an aspiring art director."

Since both my daughters are "aspiring ____________s," I've been thinking lately about the word aspiring.

Some people think it simply means hopeful, as in "I hope to be in advertising someday."

And because of that many people think aspirations are the domain, therefore, of the young.

But aspirations are all those things all of us hope to accomplish.

Aspirations are about ambitions.

About striving.

Even about soaring.

I've been working for 33 years.

I'm 55 years old.

I've led agencies, accounts and clients.

I'm heavily titled.

But I got that way because I'm still an aspiring copywriter.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.