Friday, December 7, 2012

I found my well.

I'm in a shitty mood, so I thought I'd take some potshots.

Nothing really serious here. Just trying to allay my mood.

About a couple times a day I get emails from people looking for work or from headhunters either looking for me to hire their candidates or trying to persuade me to become their candidate.

These emails come from virtually all over the globe.

Regardless of that, they have something in common.

I guess they all start with the same mother-fucking meme.

Dear George, they say, I hope this note finds you well.

Like I said, I get a lot of these missives. And I try to respond to them all. But that opening drives me crazy.

I wish your note found me in a well.

Or I wish your note didn't find me at all.

Or I wish you didn't presume that my well was misplaced.

You know what, if you're writing a note to a creative person, remember these thoughts:

1. Be creative. Don't send me a form letter crammed with cliches.
2. Be respectful.
3. Don't presume I'm dying to have a drink with you.
4. Have some introspection. That is if your work doesn't at all match the agency's don't send it.

No comments: