Thursday, April 28, 2011

I definitely don't like it.

I am staying right now in Las Vegas in a 3,000 room hotel that doesn't contain a single clock or a single lamp with wattage enough to read by. I'll admit, I haven't really given the city or the hotel a chance, I've been working too hard. But it's not likely I would ever enjoy myself here. The city seems to be to urban architecture what Kraft singles are to cheese.

The hotel is decorated--festooned actually--with the work of I suppose hundreds of local artists. I guess this makes them feel like they are intrinsic to the community.

Look, I'll admit I am Scrooge-like and ahedonistic. But I gotta tell you. Most local artists aren't fit to paint a pee stained fire hydrant.

4 comments:

Tore Claesson said...

But what's the purpose of having a business conference in Las Vegas? Isn't there way too many distractions? Wouldn't an isolated place in the mountains be a better choice for brains to come together? And get something done. Or is it really just a disguised incentive?

bob hoffman said...

One of my partners had the best line I've ever heard about one of those enormous Las Vegas hotels. She said when she stepped out of her room and looked down the corridor she could see the curvature of the earth.

george tannenbaum said...

That's perfect, Bob.

Graham Strong said...

Hmm, first thing that strikes me is that "What Happens in Vegas, Stays in Vegas" isn't a particularly strong slogan to sell to the conventioneer market...

@Tore - I guess you have to know your audience. If they all have similar feelings to LV as George, you've got a winner.

~Graham