Thursday, February 21, 2008

Shooting down satellites.


Because China last year shot a satellite out of space, the Pentagon is spending a purported $60 million dollars to see if it can do the same. The Pentagon claims that the satellite, which is the size of a school bus is filled with a toxic gas that could kill you if you stand around and inhale that gas like Dennis Hopper in Blue Velvet. Think about trillion dollar defense budgets like you think about Christmas gifts. When you get one, you want to open it and see what's inside. You don't just leave toys in a closet. You play with them.

Be that as it may, the Pentagon shooting down satellites makes me think of a quip from an ex-boss of mine. (I am especially thinking of this as I head off to see a particularly unimaginative and un-trusting client.) My ex-boss called a particular client a "wit-seeking missile."

I wish we could shoot them down.

No comments: